Top Apprenticeship Scheme Helps Teenagers Build Careers
A teenager from Lincoln is laying the foundations for his career in the construction trade after being appointed to David Wilson Homes' apprenticeship scheme.
Recently named a Top 100 Apprenticeship Employer at the National Apprenticeship Awards, David Wilson Homes has a record of recruiting young people to the business.
The new apprentice, Robert Cantwell (18), from Lincoln, is one of five apprentices who have been taken on by the company this year, and is currently learning on the job while undertaking his NVQ Level 1 and 2 in bricklaying at Lincoln College.
“I did some work on one of David Wilson Homes' sites when I left school so I was already familiar with the company when I came to apply for the apprenticeship”, said Rob Cantwell who is now working at David Wilson Homes' Kings Court development in North Hykeham. “I'd love to be able to set up my own company in the future using the skills I'm learning now.”
John Dillon, Managing Director at David Wilson Homes North Midlands, said, “Apprenticeships combine on-the-job experience with classroom based learning and are one of the most effective ways to build construction skills for the future”.
“As a company we aim to award excellence and encourage progression within the company, so many of those who join us at this early stage choose to stay with the company for many years, some even progressing to Senior Management levels.”
One such person is Mike Attfield (45), a Senior Contracts Manager who too began his career at the age of 17 when he joined the company as an apprentice joiner.
After his apprenticeship, he moved between various departments within the company, spending two years as a bedroom fitter for the firm's fitted furniture division, and seven years in the joinery department working on Wilson Bowden projects, during which time he helped set up a new carpet department.
After making the decision to move to site, he quickly progressed from Site Manager through the ranks to Contracts Manager and now Senior Contracts Manager.
Mike said, “Being a part of this company feels like being a part of a family; I'm still in touch with the people I met in my first few years working at David Wilson Homes and I can't imagine working anywhere else.
“I would really encourage people who want to get a feel for this industry to take on apprenticeships. When you work on site, every day is different and you're always learning something new.”
Second-year apprentice, Jack Hopkinson (20), has already been given an insight into how an apprenticeship can help your career. He said, “I've been working for the company for two years now, and I would recommend the scheme to anyone; I love the job I'm doing and I love the people I'm working with.
“The apprenticeship really opened doors for me – I'm starting my NVQ level 3 in September but in the meantime I get to keep working for the company, building on the skills I've developed over the past two years.”
John Dillon continued, “Apprenticeships are a vital part of our business and we pride ourselves on the level of investment we make every year to ensure that talent is developed and valued.
“We are encouraging anyone considering what to do after school, or indeed anyone keen for a career change, to take a serious look at apprenticeships. They are an excellent stepping stone into an industry and give you the chance to earn and learn at the same time.”
For more information on careers with David Wilson Homes please visit the website, at www.buildingcareerstogether.co.uk
- Ends -
NOTES TO EDITORS:
1) For further information about David Wilson Homes, please contact Alex Scoppie or Alice Norman, Unsworth Sugden, on 0116 2471777 or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
2) David Wilson Homes is part of the Barratt Group, which sold 13,663 homes in the year to June 2013, making it the biggest housebuilder by volume in Britain.
3) Barratt Group was awarded a maximum five star rating for the fourth consecutive year in the 2013 Home Builders Federation Customer Satisfaction Survey.
4) In 2013, site managers working for Barratt Group won a record breaking 102 awards for quality workmanship in the NHBC Pride in the Job Quality Awards. This is the highest number ever won by a single company since the competition began in 1980.
5) Barratt Group was named Sustainable Developer of the Year at the What House Awards 2012, in addition to Sustainable Housebuilder of the Year at the Housebuilder Awards 2012.
6) Barratt Group is the only housebuilder to provide a five year warranty on the fixtures and fittings in its new build homes at the time of purchase.
Press release distributed by Pressat on behalf of Pressat, on Wednesday 5 February, 2014. For more information visit http://www.pressat.co.uk/
Apprenticeship Jobs Construction & Property