Since September 2017, Localgiving has awarded £100,000 in grants to 205 local charities across 59 counties through its Magic Little Grants Programme.
The Magic Little Grants programme distributes small grants on behalf of grant makers to local charities and community groups to support their essential work. With its simple 10 minute application process, the scheme reduces the work required for grassroots organisations to access the funding they need to launch or strengthen their services.
This round of grants were distributed in association with the Postcode Community Trust, a grant-giving charity funded entirely by players of People’s Postcode Lottery. These grants, of £250 and £500, were specifically aimed at projects that seek to increase participation in exercise and healthy activities. A wide variety of groups have been supported ranging from exercise classes for stroke survivors to outdoor, adventure activities for disadvantaged young people.
Applicants had to have an annual income under £50,000 or be in their first year of operation. Preference was given to projects that encouraged social cohesion and helped vulnerable people to overcome barriers to participation in physical activities.
The feedback from grant awardees has been hugely positive. LEGS (London Exercise Group for Stroke) said "We are so grateful for the funding we have received and it was such a smooth process with great communication from you at all stages". The 2000 Club, a disability focussed sports group in Heston added "Everything that [Localgiving] promised to do from applying to receiving the funds went through smoothly”.
On top of their grant, all successful organisations receive access to Localgiving’s online fundraising platform, numerous fundraising resources and regular match fund campaigns.
Ceri Mugford, Charity Membership & Support Executive at Localgiving said:
"We are thrilled at the success of our Magic Little Grants programme. Our research has shown that finding suitable, accessible funding can be a real challenge for grassroots organisations. This scheme was designed to address this issue - making the application process as simple and intuitive as possible, and making the grants unrestricted – therefore enabling awardees to use their funding for core costs. We look forward to expanding the programme in the future and exploring new opportunities to support the local voluntary sector.
Callum Munro, Senior Community Programmes Officer at People’s Postcode Lottery said:
“We’re delighted that these Magic Little Grants are allowing our players to support grass-roots wellbeing and sports activities, making a fantastic contribution to the health and recreation of communities across England, Scotland and Wales”
To find out more: https://localgiving.org/what-we-do/magic-little-grants/
For more information please visit Localgiving.org, email [email protected] or call 0300 111 2340.
For more information please contact:
Lewis Garland, Communications Manager - [email protected]
Localgiving is the UK’s leading membership and support network for local charities and community groups. It aims to empower grassroots organisations to fundraise online, connect with supporters and take control of their financial future. In addition, it provides advocacy for the local voluntary sector and works to secure third party funding for its members. It provides free training opportunities, fundraising resources and regular incentivised giving campaigns to help groups raise funds online.
About People’s Postcode Lottery
- People's Postcode Lottery manages multiple charity lotteries (also known as society lotteries). Players play with their postcodes to win cash prizes, while raising money for charities and good causes across Great Britain and globally
- A minimum of 32% goes directly to charities and players have raised £263 million to date for good causes across the country
- £10 for 10 draws paid monthly in advance with prizes every day. For further prize information visit: www.postcodelottery.co.uk/prizes
- Maximum amount a single ticket can win is 10% of the draw revenue to a maximum of £400,000
- Players can sign up by Direct Debit online at www.postcodelottery.co.uk, or by calling 0808 10-9-8-7-6-5
- Postcode Lottery Limited is regulated by the Gambling Commission under licences number: 000-000829-N-102511-014 and Number: 000-000829-R-102513-013. Registered office: Titchfield House, 69/85 Tabernacle Street, London, EC2A 4RR
- For details on which society lottery is running each week, visit www.postcodelottery.co.uk/society
Press release distributed by Pressat on behalf of Localgiving, on Wednesday 31 January, 2018. For more information subscribe and follow http://www.pressat.co.uk/