The sun is out and so is the BBQ, so fire up the coals, samba into summer and celebrate the World Cup with a bit of al fresco dining with a Brazilian twist. Sausage company HECK has put together its top food & drink favourites for getting into the Rio groove and impressing guests during the match.
With their genuine farming connections, direct links to their farms and their own homemade seasonings, the Keebles can control their recipes and what goes into them - all very lean British pork shoulder, gluten-free breadcrumbs, natural skins and no rusk, MSG or GM. Since going on sale, the family has been inundated with positive messages from customers - no-carb converts, coeliac sufferers and people wanting good sausages without the gluten who love their recipes.
1. Look for sausages with punch. Linguica is the robust, cured pork sausage traditionally served up in Brazil but it can be hard to find in the UK. If you’re having trouble, try these Latin-inspired chorizo-style bangers from HECK instead, infused with smoked paprika, sweet red peppers and fragrant herbs. Gluten and dairy-free too, serve them on their own or sandwiched in between some toasted ciabatta with creamy coleslaw and zesty chilli salsa on the side ( mail order from www.heckfood.co.uk £2.99, 400g).
2. To serve alongside the sausages, try marinating lamb and beef steaks in a zingy marinade of ginger, chilli, tomatoes and garlic. Cook the steaks whole or cube and skewer into kebabs. If you don’t want to make your own marinade, buy a pre-prepared one (dried or bottled). Serve with a refreshing mango and tomato salad.
3. RAISE A GLASS TO RIO - Try mixing up a Caipirinha to serve alongside barbecue food. This traditional and potent Brazilian cocktail is prepared with Cachaça (popular local firewater derived from sugar cane). Easy to make and guaranteed to get everyone in the party mood (or at least not worry if England don’t score). Ingredients: 1 lime, 2 tsp brown sugar, 2oz of Cachaça, handful of fresh mint leaves, crushed ice. To make: Cut the lime into wedges and squeeze the juice into a mixing jug or cocktail shaker. Add the wedges together with the sugar and muddle together with the end of a rolling pin (or a muddler if you have one). Top with the ice and pour the Cachaça over the ice. Add torn mint leaves and add more sugar if needed. Give it a good stir, pour into a chilled cocktail glass and enjoy!
4. THE BEERS FROM BRAZIL – stock up on some Brahma, the most popular beer brand in Brazil. Widely available in the UK, serve it ice-cold alongside some smoking barbecue food.
5. FOR THE TEE-TOTAL Try refreshing juices like guava or coconut water mixed into non-alcoholic fruit punches and cocktails, and if energy levels are flagging mid-match, grab some Guaraná, a popular Brazilian fizzy drink with energy-giving extracts from the Amazonian plant. Look out for Guaraná Antartica and Guaraná Brahma, the two most well-known brands.
Further information, samples, photography available from:
Sarah Turrell / email@example.com / 07958 397637 / @sarah_turrell
Emma Cantrill / firstname.lastname@example.org / 07788 757377
Visit the website: www.heckfood.co.uk
Find on Facebook: www.facebook.com/heckfood
Sent us a Tweet: @HeckFood
NOTES TO EDITORS
Made in small batches in a production unit close to the family farm in North Yorkshire, HECK is a new independent sausage company from Debbie and Andrew Keeble (originally of the popular Debbie & Andrew’s range). The couple went back to th
Press release distributed by Pressat on behalf of Pressat Wire, on Wednesday 11 June, 2014. For more information subscribe and follow http://www.pressat.co.uk/
The World Cup