We are now looking forward to the next phase of our journey.
National problem gambling support charity GamCare has successfully secured funding, subject to contract, from GambleAware to continue to provide the National Gambling HelpLine and free treatment services across Great Britain until March 2021. GamCare has also announced the appointment of a new CEO from January 2018.
Working as part of a network of treatment services commissioned by GambleAware, GamCare provides information, advice and support for anyone affected by problem gambling as well as education and prevention initiatives to minimise gambling-related harms. GamCare has operated a helpline for those affected by problematic gambling since 1997, and also provides free treatment through a network of specially procured and trained providers.
Under the leadership of Interim CEO Simon Thompson since April, GamCare has re-oriented its service delivery and is planning to scale up delivery of treatment services across England, Scotland and Wales for the next three years.
Incoming CEO, Anna Hemmings, joins GamCare with extensive expertise after five years with Lifeline.
Sir Ian Prosser, Chairman of GamCare, says: “We are delighted to have secured this funding and to have appointed a new CEO. Anna's credentials are ideally suited to GamCare’s requirements going forward and we have every confidence that she can steer the organisation to continued success.
I also wish to compliment Simon Thompson on the outstanding results that he has achieved in re-orientating the organisation in such a short space of time. Our services will be able to reach more of those in need of support, and we are now looking forward to the next phase of our journey."
Marc Etches, CEO at GambleAware, says: “Following a rigorous procurement process, GambleAware has agreed in principle to fund GamCare to continue delivering the National Gambling Helpline, counselling services and to lead a network of other counselling services across Britain.
The funding is expected to run from 1st January 2018 through to 31st March 2021, and will be conditional upon agreement about the processes that will ensure appropriate and effective collaboration between GambleAware as strategic commissioner and GamCare as a lead provider commissioning a network of services. Our focus is to ensure services are delivered safely, are effective, and represent good value for money.”
For more information about GamCare services visit www.gamcare.org.uk
For more information or accompanying images please contact Catherine Sweet, Marketing and Communications Manager, at email@example.com or on 020 7801 7000.
GamCare – Working to minimise gambling-related harm
• GamCare is the leading national provider of information, advice, support and free counselling for the prevention and treatment of problem gambling. Our expert services are confidential and non-judgemental.
• GamCare operates the National Gambling HelpLine on Freephone 0808 8020 133 or via web chat at www.gamcare.org.uk. Advisers are available 8am – Midnight, seven days a week.
• Moderated chatrooms are also open daily, and peer-to-peer support is available through the GamCare Forum.
• For more information on GamCare counselling services, visit www.gamcare.org.uk/free-counselling
• GambleAware is an independent charity tasked to fund research, education and treatment services to help minimise gambling-related harm in Great Britain.
• GambleAware is a commissioning and grant-making body, not a provider of services. Guided by the National Responsible Gambling Strategy, the charity’s strategic aim is to broaden public understanding of gambling-related harm as a public health issue and to help those that do develop problems get the support and help that they need quickly and effectively.
• For more information visit https://about.gambleaware.org/
Press release distributed by Pressat on behalf of GamCare, on Monday 6 November, 2017. For more information subscribe and follow http://www.pressat.co.uk/
National Problem Gambling Treatment
Charities & non-profits