THE SLEEP COUNCIL
CREATE THE PERFECT SLEEP ENVIRONMENT THIS WEEKEND!
The Sleep Council shows how to create the perfect sleep environment with the launch of a new micro-site for National Sleep-In Day – this Sunday, October 28, the day the clocks go back and we all get an extra hour in bed.
http://www.perfectsleepenvironment.org.uk features a bedroom graphic that focuses on the five key ingredients for creating the perfect sleep environment: temperature, light, distraction, comfort and relaxation.
Says Sleep Council spokesperson Jessica Alexander: “Creating – and maintaining – the perfect sleep environment is an essential part of achieving the best possible quality sleep which is vital for health and wellbeing. Public health campaigns constantly remind us about the essentials of good diet and exercise but there’s no advice about sleep.”
The Sleep Council has teamed up with sleep expert Kathleen McGrath to create the interactive, online tool which allows users to see, at-a-glance, the effect changing different elements in a bedroom can have on sleep quality.
A perfect sleep environment should be:
• Just the right temperature – between 16 and 18 degrees centigrade. Feeling too hot or too cold in the night can lead to restless sleep and wakefulness.
• Kept dark. Light is a common sleep ‘robber’ so investing in a good pair of well lined curtains which keep the light out and the room dark can be really helpful.
• Free from distractions. So lose the laptop, the mobile, the computer games, the television and anything else that is likely to distract from the serious business of sleep!
• Comfortable. And central to comfortable is a good supportive bed – the bigger the better (for less partner disturbance) and as good as the budget can stretch to: we spend a third of our life in bed so why compromise on the cost of a good night’s sleep?
• Relaxing. The bedroom should be an oasis of calm and tranquillity – uncluttered and devoted to the land of dreams.
The Perfect Sleep Environment micro-site is also accessible through The Sleep Council’s main site – www.sleepcouncil.org.uk, and provides an opportunity to ‘Ask the Expert’ questions about concerns with sleeping. Users simply click a link, leave their question and a trained professional will be in touch within 24 hours.
Press Contact: For further information please contact Jan Turner, Lisa Artis or Jessica Alexander at The Sleep Council. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01756 791089 Fax: 01756 798789
Alternatively visit The Sleep Council website www.sleepcouncil.co.uk or find us on facebook.com/thesleepcouncil and twitter.com/thesleepcouncil
Create the Perfect Sleep Environment this Weekend! - The Sleep CouncilTuesday 23 October, 2012
THE SLEEP COUNCIL
Press release distributed by Pressat on behalf of AKA PR, on Tuesday 23 October, 2012. For more information visit http://www.pressat.co.uk/